Sunday, June 29, 2008

Moved - Again

I moved into my new apartment. It was an ordeal - a trip on Wednesday and a trip on Thursday (with a trolley this time), carrying all those huge heavy boxes one by one through a parking lot and around the building into my new apartment.

I spent most of the next few days (and nights) cleaning and unpacking. The apartment looked really nice and clean, but actually it was filthy. There were weird drip marks on the walls in the bathroom like someone had thrown up on all four walls (impossible, right?), thick rings of dust everywhere, (unused) condom packets in the drawers and lost DVDs under the TV, dirty dishes under the sink, and marks all over the walls.

I pretty much finished everything as of Saturday afternoon. I identified a leaking tap in the sink that's leaking into the cupboard on Thursday and sent a note to the real estate agent. I found another leak into the wall making a mouldy patch near the front door via the bath/shower area, and emailed them about that last night with photos. I put a drip pan under the sink to catch the water temporarily.

Those are small things though, a few days of trouble, but otherwise the apartment is all clean and good to go. I feel really happy there.

Just before I moved into the last apartment I had bought a new double-bed doona (duvet) and new chinese black and red sheet set. But when I was about to move I found my new bed was a queen and so those sheets wouldn't fit, and I stored them at home (luckily never taking them to that infested place). My new bed in this apartment is a double-bed, so I could finally use those things I'd spent so much money on, and that made me happy :)

I made chicken for dinner on Saturday and Sunday, and also blended some drinks from fresh fruit. My immune system feels really down the past few days... I think that will help.

I slept okay on Saturday night, but last night I couldn't sleep well. I kept having dreams that bugs were on me, I'd wake up and switch on the light and throw back the covers but there is nothing there.

When I unpacked all my things I sprayed even more fly spray everywhere - so much so that I was super sick at work on Friday, I think I had inhaled the fumes too much. I drowned my DVD cases, I drowned the book shelf, sprayed some of the books, and around the bathroom and the kitchen skirting boards. Both for bed bugs and cockroaches, as I'd seen some dead cockroaches laying around and a whole lot of cockroach hotel baits (which I've since thrown away).

Anyway like I said I'm happy. I did some exercise this morning. I hope to get my life back in order. Of course, I won't feel totally normal for at least another month or so, which is the time it would take for any eggs to hatch and start an infestation again. This time I'll be prepared though.

No comments: