Thursday, June 19, 2008

Moving day

It was moving day yesterday.

The real estate agent called me at 10am and said she'd know within the hour if the place was for rent or sale. Two hours passed. I called at 1 and got told by the receptionist there was a message that the owner still hadn't contacted them. I called again at 3:30 and spoke to the real estate agent herself and got the same message. So - no resolution to that. I had to move back with my parents.

I took all my dry cleaning back to work, sealed it, then took it home and stored it in the room. That's much nicer than it was when I moved in.



















My brother borrowed a truck from work and we started loading it in the afternoon with all of my things. The side door of the apartment complex broke and we had to actually carry some stuff around the entire building to get it into the truck. When I had finished disassembling my book case, I found a live bug. It was a VERY live bug. At first I looked down and it was sitting on the carpet and I thought it was dead, but after I poked it, it started running really fast. I took a photo and a video for court then killed it.

In a way that's good, because it gives me 100% clear reason for having given my "2 days emergency moving notice" for the place being uninhabitable even after spraying. I knew there were bugs hiding around anyway, I just couldn't prove it until now.

But I'm not sure where exactly it had been hiding, as the PCO had sprayed down the whole (front of the) book case and it had been completely missed. It may have been living in one of the little peg holes in the sides of the frame where you insert trays, or something. When I got the book case home I sprayed the whole thing, every hole and everything in a bed bug spray.

Oh yeah so I stuck this one to tape, and was sticking the 3 "mostly dead but still twitching" ones from the glass that I captured earlier in the week, when they went NUTS. They were still alive and well, they were only PLAYING dead. The moment I had them on tape their legs starting wheeling and kicking like crazy.

Here is the one from the book case just before I taped it.














My housemate/head-tenant/landlord wasn't there at all though. I left my key there with a note that had my bank account details for a direct deposit and that he owed $1000 bond plus a $50 key deposit. I'm sure he wasn't there on purpose, but I'm fine with that.

I made sure to clean everything out of my room, vacuum after, throw the bag out, threw the trash out, and triple-quadruple checked to make sure I hadn't left a trace of me behind. When I was finished the room was completely bare. I'm going to miss that view though.














So we got home, I left my plastic boxes outside, moved plastic bags inside and sprayed them all down. Sprayed inside the back of my monitor and lined around it with dust. Sprayed down my suitcase (as I don't think the PCO did, even though I left it out for him) which has my computer in it. Sprayed all along the carpet and walls around the boxes and bags. And left my DVD cases outside as I hadn't gone through them all thoroughly yet. I also taped up some holes I'd found in some low-risk bags.

I was able to wash my jeans (finally) and put on some clean clothes. But I couldn't sleep well. I haven't slept there in 5 years and for good reason, it really really really sucks there.

I really hope I can get my apartment today, and if not that I can tell this real estate agency to fucking shove it because it's SO WRONG to keep an application going for an entire week while holding my deposit so I can't check out other places. As I said to my brother this morning "the owner of the new place doesn't even deserve me as a tenant."

No comments: